Saturday, January 7, 2012

Homemade vanilla extract

Talking about Christmas presents,

Homemade vanilla extract

no, no. Not the Polish vodka! I received a generous stash of vanilla beans from my sister-in-law and her fiancé.

Homemade vanilla extract

I'm not sure why I haven't thought to make vanilla extract at home before. It couldn't be simpler! Most sources online recommend a ratio of three beans per eight ounces of vodka (or rum). I sliced the beans down the centre, scraped the caviar and put all of it in sterilised bottles. Each bottle held a wee bit more than 16 ounces, so I used seven beans per bottle.

Homemade vanilla extract

I've squirrelled the bottles away in the darkest part of the cabinet. Now all I have to do is give the bottles a good shake once in a while and more importantly, be patient!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I love it! You take such lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete