Sunday, July 19, 2009

Diana messenger bag

Last year, I made three bags using Amy Butler's Birdie Sling pattern. I gave two away as presents, and kept one for myself. It is the perfect size for me (80% of the original pattern), and very sturdy, so I brought mine with me to India.

Amy Butler Birdie Sling

I have been using it almost every day since I got here, but as you can see, it shows dirt very easily. I figure India is a *touch* dustier than the U.S., because I can swear it never got so dirty there! Although the bag washes well, I have to wash it quite frequently to keep it clean. I decided to make a new one, using a darker fabric. Besides, I wanted to test my newly repaired sewing machine.

Diana messenger bag

I used the Burdastyle Diana bag tutorial, and added a few features - a zippered pocket at the back, and a simple slip pocket and another zippered pocket on the inside. I used two layers of interfacing on the strap to make it sturdy, and used a magnetic clasp to keep the flap closed.

Diana messenger bag

Photo taken by my husband.

Diana messenger bag

It easily holds an umbrella, a book or two, my wallet, my water bottle, and a snack. I think it'll see a lot of use, and also keep my other bag looking clean, longer. I really like it! So do my husband and sister, who have both put in a request for a bag of their own!

Happy Monday.

2 comments:

  1. What a great looking bag! I love the magnetic snap, nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color and the lining fabric!

    ReplyDelete